Established in 1975, Asheville Gastroenterology Associates (AGA) is an acclaimed single specialty practice serving the greater western North Carolina region.
Started through the vision, compassion, and hard work of founding partner Dr. Michael Grier, today the practice encompasses over 20 providers and an expansive scope of services provided for the digestive health of our patients.
Our commitment to pursue cutting-edge technology to improve our patients' health is demonstrated by the following:
- Our founding members were among the first physicians to introduce state-of-the-art gastroenterology and endoscopic techniques to the region, using newly developed fiber optic instruments of that era.
- In 1978, an AGA physician was the first in the state of North Carolina to successfully extract a gallstone from the bile duct using a novel technique called endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP).
- Our Endoscopy Center, opened in 1991, was the first ambulatory surgical center of its kind in the state of North Carolina, providing outpatient endosurgical services to the patients of Asheville Gastroenterology Associates.
- AGA developed a clinical research program that offers treatments in a variety of digestive disorders by enrollment in nationally acknowledged clinical trials at the forefront of discovery.
- We are dedicated to offering the most innovative endoscopic techniques as exemplified by our expertise in capsule endoscopy, endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and Spyglass direct cholangioscopy system.
- We were the first site Western North Carolina to use the novel Spyglass visualization system for direct cholangioscopy in 2008.
- Our collaboration with a regional liver transplant center helps facilitate initial consultations with transplant surgical staff within our practice.